Goals of our CCD Program
The Cathedral of Christ the King CCD Program exists to invite, nurture, empower and equip our students to become life-long disciples of Jesus Christ as active members of the Catholic Church. But we acknowledge that our role is to support parents in their God-given role as the first and primary teachers of the faith for their children. We hope that parents are themselves striving to be or become disciples and take their parental role as the first and primary teachers of the faith seriously. Because otherwise, what we do here will have very limited impact. To that end, these are the goals we strive to achieve:
• To proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ and encourage students to come to know him and love him personally as they come to know the Church he established.
• To preach and teach the beauty, truth and goodness of the Catholic faith based on both Scripture and the Sacred Tradition
• To develop an understanding in our students of what it means to be an intentional disciple of Jesus and then striving to constantly discern and follow the Father's will for their lives.
• To encourage reception of the Sacraments by preparing students to understand and appreciate their importance and necessity in their life
• To foster reverence for the Church and our Catholic faith.
• To foster growth in our faith community by providing valuable experiences of shared prayer and worship
• To encourage a spirit of charity by promoting positive Christian attitudes to one’s responsibility toward God, others, and self
• To encourage students to be actively engaged and responsible for their faith formation
• To foster cooperation and communication among the parish community, religious education staff, parents, and students
CCD meets from 10:10-11:05 on Sunday mornings during the school year. See schedule for dates.
Children with Special Needs
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these (Matthew 19:14).”
Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW) follows what Jesus has asked of us. During the school year at the 9:00 (and if we have sufficient volunteers, the 11:15 masses), the children are invited by the celebrant to process into a special, sacred setting where they will participate in the Liturgy of the Word. Although this is a mirrored celebration of what is happening with the congregation,
CLOW is geared for young minds and hearts - focusing on children that have not yet made their First Holy Communion.
They learn the traditions and meaning behind our Catholic faith; they listen to the proclamation of the Gospel and share in a discussion designed especially for them. After the prayers of the faithful they process back into church and rejoin their families for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
Experiencing liturgy adapted for their age and experience teaches children to participate in the liturgy fully, actively, and consciously as they grow.
This ministry can only be offered to the extent that parents and other interested adults and teens volunteer to help make it happen. Please contact Karen Kirkland (email@example.com) to find out how you can help our children fall in love with Jesus and the liturgy. You will be able to participate as you can and the benefits of doing so are everlasting!
CTK’s AHG Troop meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from 6 – 7:15pm in Room A of the Parish Life Center. (Parish Nursery will be available during our meetings.)
AHG is a faith based, character development scouting troop for girls in Kindergarten through 12th grade. (Must be five years old by 10/1/16.)
Our Parent Information Meeting will be August 28 at 10:15am in Hehman Hall.
For more info please email Amy (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit americanheritagegirls.org.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence do not rely; In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths. – Proverbs 3:5-6